Wednesday, November 26, 2014

His Glory, or My Works?

At the door I am speaking,
"Lord, Lord, let me in
Let me in, let me leave
this bleak world of sin."

"Give me a place I can lie
in peace, safe and sound
where hope, love, and joy
and life can be found."

"In Your name, oh, my Lord
I've done many great things
and I'll tell You about them
from the height of Your wings."

"So please," I implore You.
"Lord, let me in.
I knock on Your door
so this life I can win."

But wait -- You are whispering
from this door You shut tight.
"I never knew you," You say.
"Yes, you heard right."

My forehead is wrinkled,
 "But look what I've done!"
I've done many great things,
and all for the Son.

And so now You reply,
with love in Your eyes,
"Listen to me," You say,
"If you wish for life in the skies."

"You call my name Lord,
yet do not what I say:
for the will of my Father
is the only True way."
"So first, seek my God
seek Him and you'll find.
For this kingdom of Heaven
is not seen with the mind."

With that, my knocking ceased,
and I turn from the door
for this kingdom of Heaven
is not what my pride has in store.

And so now I remain
in the dark, evil lurks
and I'm kept awake with a question:
His glory, or my works?


"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
Matthew 7:21-23, King James Version.

4 comments:

  1. I love the subject of this poem! Did you write this? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. You're an amazing writer. <3

    xx Nicole Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You're incredible as well, and I love your blog. :) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Comment away! I love to hear your thoughts:) And hey, thanks for reading.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...