Sunday, November 2, 2014

4 Things I Learned From Starting NaNoWriMo

1. 1,667 words is a lot of words.
You honestly don't even want to know how much time I spent writing on November 1st. The words came very slowly. And I didn't even reach the goal! I'm currently behind by about 400 words. Already. And November started on a weekend.

2. I'm good at people, not plots.
I can develop a great character. Stories? Eh, not so much. But guess what? The great thing about NaNoWriMo is that I can totally work my novel around this. I get to learn my strengths & my weaknesses through experience.

3. Perseverance is possible.
Learning my writing strengths & weaknesses is great, yeah, but it doesn't mean anything if I don't just write. This means using every minute of my day to the best use so I have writing time.

4. The words will come easier.
Since I haven't actually attempted to write a story in quite awhile, it was a bit of a shock to sit down and try to write. But even today it was a little bit easier. NaNoWriMo allows you to give yourself the permission to write complete junk. It's okay to write terribly. You just have to write. And so write I will.

3 comments:

  1. I have been wondering how this is going ;) Thanks for the update! I hope you will share your story with me when you're finished...even if it's "complete junk."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha :D I added a little widget to the side of my blog, so if you're ever wondering how behind I am, you can check my word count. ;D

      Delete
  2. Hah! I look at that all the time! Except I don't know how far you're supposed to be. I'm always like "oh. look at that! she wrote some more!" and then I look at the rest of your blog. Nice job on the distance you've gone! I couldn't go that far. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment away! I love to hear your thoughts:) And hey, thanks for reading.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...